Our History

Although nothing remains of the school’s humble beginnings, the Yukon Public School District has expanded into 11 schools:
  • 7 Elementary Schools (PK-3)
  • 2 Elementary Schools (4-5)
  • 1 Middle School (divided into 2 campuses:  7/8 grades and a 6th grade Academy; resides in the building previously housing the high school)
  • 1 High School (completed in 2012, this is a state-of-the-art building that ranks as the 8th largest high school in the state of Oklahoma)
 The first classes were held in a one-room frame building, which belonged to the First Baptist Church, and was located just north of the present church building. The first day of class was December 3, 1891. The instructor was Miss Lena Griffith.

The first school building was built in 1892 at 5th and Main Street. The wooden structure contained three rooms. That building and its successor, built in 1895 near the present Administration Building have since been raised. But, it was in these buildings that Yukon High School held its first graduation in 1904. The graduates were three women: Lela Russel, Emma Ellison, and Manone Glotfelter. All three women later became teachers in Yukon Schools.

A new school was built in 1910 through a $33,000 bond issue. The school was designed to accommodate all grades and was known as the District School, but today it serves as the Yukon Historical Society Museum and Stage Door Theater. This is the building that sits to the south of the current Administration Building. The Administration Building originally housed Central Elementary for years.

As school enrollment grew, a building designed to serve grades 7 though 12 was constructed in 1925. This building currently houses Central Elementary. But, prior to the transformation, this old High School building was affectionately known as the “Alamo”, due to its structural appearance. After the former High School was built at Yukon Avenue and Garth Brooks Boulevard, the “Alamo” was renamed as the Mid High, housing 9th and 10th graders.

The Ralph A. Myers Elementary School, named after a superintendent who held the position for 40 years, was built in 1962. Several additions have been added to the school.

Superintendent Jack Beeson presided over the construction of the former High School which was built in 1966. Originally designed to serve grades 9-12, it now serves only 11th and 12th graders.

McKinney Heights housing development expanded the population in south Yukon and a third elementary school was built in 1967. Shedeck Elementary is located on South Holly. The school has gone through a few expansions adding classrooms and physical education facilities.

The elementary school expansion continued in 1971 with construction of Ranchwood Elementary. The school has gone through very recent expansions adding a new cafeteria and classrooms.

The 1971 school year started with an enrollment of 2,743 students and just three years later, the 1974 school year began with 4,112 students. At the time, this was the greatest influx of students over any three-year period in the schools history.

Surrey Hills Elementary was built in 1974 to serve the students in the far northwest part of the district. For many years, Surrey Hills Elementary had the smallest population. However, their population now exceeds that of Myers Elementary.

Construction resumed again with the completion of Independence Middle School in 1976. All 7th and 8th grade students in the district attended this school, which is located on Vandament Avenue.

Parkland Elementary, where students from the Parkland housing additions attended, was in service during the 1979-1980 school year. The school has undergone expansions adding classrooms and physical education facilities.

A football stadium, located behind the Middle School, was also built in 1979. It was a project between the school system and a community group, Stadium, Inc. An outdoor track was added in 1981 at a cost of $110,000. During the summer of 1982, the stadium complex was expanded with dressing rooms and concessions added. Updates have taken place to this athletic facility. During the summer of 2008, the grass football field was replaced by a turf football field.

Winds blew down the early construction on the Yukon Schools Fine Arts Auditorium, but it was completed and was first used in May of 1982. Later the Fine Art Auditorium was affectionately renamed as the Yukon Fine Arts Center (Gene Cranfill Auditorium), after Mr. Cranfill’s passing. Mr. Cranfill was a beloved educator and associate superintendent for Yukon Public Schools for over 40 years.

The final elementary school, Skyview Elementary was built in 1983 and it is the first school to be situated next to a city park. Construction projects adding a new gymnasium and additional space have taken place since this building’s original construction.

In 1987, the High School 9/10 building was built and placed into service. Several expansions to this building and grounds, including the addition of a Food Court, have taken place over the years. The old 9/10 grade building now houses our 7th and 8th grade students on our Middle School campus. 

In 1996, Lakeview Middle School was built. The building of this middle school provided relief for the overflowing population at Independence Middle School. These middle schools housed all of Yukon’s 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Lakeview is now an upper-elementary school housing some of our 4th and 5th grade students.

Several other construction projects have taken place over the years. New athletic facilities have been built on properties near Independence Elementary School and Lakeview Elementary School. Also, band and athletic facilities have been constructed along with several classroom transformations at the Middle School complex as well as the most recent construction of our new state-of-the-art high school, located off of South Yukon Parkway and Ranchwood boulevards.  

But this is only the beginning. The school district has undergone several new projects.  In 2012, construction of the new Yukon High School was completed, along with the new Athletic facilities.  The district also has restructured grade levels and in which buildings the grades are located.